Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Borrowing a Cup of Sugar

I don't think I've ever had that cliché moment where I dash over to my neighbor's house to borrow a cup of sugar. I think I would feel like I had just stepped out of Pleasantville if I did.


 Having neighbors so friendly that you can ask them for anything? I wish sometimes that life was still like that. I always love watching movies and TV shows set in the 50's and early 60's. Sometimes I think I would have been perfect in that era.

And I'm a terrible rambler. My bad. The whole reason I got on the topic in the first place is because I wanted to make sugar cookies. And I thought about borrowing sugar. I know, my mind works in strange ways. Sugar cookies have usually been hit or miss with me. I don't always like them. Sometimes they turn out too cakey, sometimes not thick enough. I discovered a recipe for sugar cookies while still in high school that I fell in love with. The secret ingredient? Sour cream. Yes, you read that right. Sour cream. And it's a-MA-zing!


Sour Cream Sugar Cookies

1 cup sour cream
2 cups sugar
1 cup shortening
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Mix the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda together in a large bowl and set it aside.


SO much flour...


Combine the sour cream, sugar, shortening, eggs, and vanilla in another bowl, roughly the same size. Mix well. I ended up having to break out my heavy duty whisk for this one.


My shortening looks a little odd because I used recycled shortening from a frybread party. If you've never had frybread, you are missing out, my friends. It's a (tasty and unhealthy) Navajo food that is just... heaven. Anyways, I've found that once used shortening is softer, making it easier to mix.



Slowly add the dry ingredients until everything is completely mixed together.


You'll need to knead the dough pretty well to mix the flour combo thoroughly.



 Let the dough chill for about 15 minutes in the fridge.

Form the dough into small balls, or use fun cookie cutters. I decided to break out a set of cookie cutters that we got as a wedding present.


It felt like springtime outside today, so I thought little flowers would be appropriate. And they're so cute, too!


I put all the dough still left over (there was a LOT!) back in the fridge to stay chilled while the cookies baked. Now, because there's shortening in the dough, it's pretty greasy, and it leaves everything it touches greasy, too. I kept wiping down my counters with a soapy sponge while my cookies baked.

Place them on an un-greased baking sheet. Bake them until the tops are a light golden brown, so about 10 minutes. I didn't want gooey sugar cookies, so I left them in the whole 10 minutes. They turned out great!



When you take them out of the oven they may seem underdone, but don't worry! They're just perfect. Let them cool on the pan, then transfer them to a rack or parchment paper for decorating. If you want your cookies to be harder and crumbly, leave them in for a little longer. I personally like my cookies soft. :)


Now it's time to decorate!

This is the glaze recipe I used. When it dried, it had a very glossy, pretty look. I almost don't want to eat any...



Sugar Cookie Glaze


2 cups powdered sugar
2 and 1/2 tablespoons warm water
1 teaspoon lime juice
4 drops of food coloring

Whisk everything together. If the consistency seems too liquidy, add some more powdered sugar. If too thick, add some lime juice. My blue glaze was a little too thin, but I think it'll still taste yummy!

Dip your cookies in the glaze, then let the excess drizzle back into your bowl. Set on parchment paper to dry completely. Don't touch them until they are. You don't want to crack the beautiful icing!

Here's a picture of the blue glazed cookies:


You can see the consistency difference. The yellow ones didn't drip off the cookie. It's okay though. I think they both look adorable!

So, I stopped counting after like, 10 dozen. And I'm still not done. But I'm tired, and I don't get the kitchen all to myself now. Sad day. Oh well. Let me know if you want some of these babies!



Pleasantville picture:
http://beautydart.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/pleasantville_parents_rice_crispy1.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Yum!!! Those have got to be about the prettiest sugar cookies ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And apart from there being WAY more than I ever anticipated, these cookies and their glaze are fairly simple to accomplish!

      Delete