Saturday, January 14, 2012

Canned Peaches + Cake Mix = Delicious!

A friend of mine invited my husband and me over to her house for a dinner date with her and her husband a while back. I asked if there was anything she wanted us to bring, and she assigned me my favorite category: dessert! I wanted to do something cheap, easy, and that tastes great with any meal, so I thought about fruit dishes. Then I remebered: I had tasted this AMAZING peach cobbler that only required a couple of ingredients. One of them was yellow cake mix. And a stick of butter. Healthy, right? When is a dessert this tasty ever healthy? Seriously, though, this peach cobbler will blow your mind!


It's fantastic with a dollop of vanilla ice cream on top! Very sweet, and it always tastes like Southern home cookin'!

"Southern" Peach Cobbler

1 box yellow cake mix
2 (15 ounce) cans peaches
1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
Cinnamon, to taste

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Drain the juice from one can of peaches into a bowl and set it aside. You'll be using it later. The juice from the other can you can discard.

Arrange the peaches in a 9 x 13 pan.



Cover the peaches completely with the cake mix. You might need a spoon to coat the whole pan evenly. Also, this recipe can be made gluten-free (sans wheat flour), since Betty Crocker now has gluten-free yellow cake mix! That's great news for many of my gluten-intolerant friends!


Slice the butter (or margarine, as long as it's in stick form) into about 18 pats. Distribute them randomly across the surface of the cake mix. If you omit this step, the cake mix will stay dry and won't raise the way it's supposed to.


Drizzle the saved peach juice over the top, then sprinkle with cinnamon.

Pop that baby in the oven for about 30 to 35 minutes or so, or at least until the cobbler has a lovely golden brown color.

This is always a huge success with my friends, and it's so painless to make! The prep time is maybe 10 minutes. So the next time you're in desperate need of a quick-fix dessert, keep this in mind! :)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XeGaRWCE9eg/TFOAqj0CNkI/AAAAAAAAB9c/xbjbP3pnYuI/s1600/p+1.jpg
http://www.instructables.com/image/FNMWCCBGSRO5WJ4/What-you-need.jpg
http://strivetosimplify.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/gluten-free-cake.jpg
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_h-EZI-XPjC0/TKHhVs04T7I/AAAAAAAAAt0/1hMg98gpl6Y/s1600/IMG_2423.JPG

14 comments:

  1. this is exactly what i am looking for to complete my father's day brunch! the betty crocker gluten free yellow cake mix is what i'm using. i can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this for my husband and myself for dessert it was really easy and very good thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to sprinkle some brown sugar here and there over the peaches, then add a touch of cinnamon and nutmeg on the peaches and then on top of the butter pats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A light sprinkling of sliced almonds over the top also works nicely. Use only unsalted almonds though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a dumb question - when pouring cake mix over peaches is the mix prepared????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sounds like it is dry...other wise the directions would have told us to prepare the cake into a batter?

      Delete
    2. You don't have to prepare any cake batter. The peach juice from the can makes it work just right, plus you spread the butter pats evenly across the top. :)

      Delete
  7. I'm trying this right now! It sounds perfect for hungry 'roofers' who are putting on our new roof! thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is the butter salted or unsalted?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Will it work the same in metal baking pan?? It's the only one I have that size.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum!! I love dump cake!! I have been making it forever! Its something my mom taught me to me because I love peach cobbler but not the crust. I do add some vanilla, some nutmeg and cinnamon to mine and sometimes I make it with cake mix or I top it with a flour/sugar topping!!! There is never any left when I make this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How would u do it with a 8x8 pan? Just cut the recipe in half?

    ReplyDelete