Monday, January 16, 2012

Carrot Cake and Homemade Frosting

I'm not usually a big cake person. I'll eat a slice if you put it in front of me, but I'd be happier with a plate of cookies with a glass of milk, or a slice of pie with vanilla ice cream. There are a few exceptions to this preference of mine: red velvet, of course, and carrot cake.

My favorite thing about both: the cream cheese frosting! My sister-in-law is a master of the cream cheese frosting, and it's always a treat when she makes cupcakes, so I thought I would take a page from her book and make it for myself! And since my husband absolutely adores carrot cake, this is a great way to test it out!


Really great carrot cake is moist and delicious, and always hits the spot when my sweet tooth goes crazy. And it's fitting for any holiday from Easter to Christmas!

Carrot Cake

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 cups grated carrots
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 vegetable/canola oil
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. 

Grease a 9 by 13 pan.

Mix the flour, cinnamon, soda, and salt; set it aside.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the sugar until they're fluffy. Add the carrots and oil and mix well. Add the flour mixture and stir to mix well. 


Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.


Allow it to cool, then frost with some cream cheese frosting. Oh, you don't have a recipe for cream cheese frosting? Luckily for you, I've got one right here!

Cream Cheese Frosting

1 package softened cream cheese
1/4 cup softened butter or margarine
2 1/4 cups confectioners sugar 
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind

Beat together the cream cheese and butter. Add the confectioners sugar and lemon rind. Mix it until the consistency is spreadable.


No comments:

Post a Comment