Tuesday, January 24, 2012

These Muffins Are Bananas, B-A-N-A-N-A-S!

My sister-in-law and her husband went out of town for about a week last week, and unfortunately, their stockpile of bananas was quickly turning black. And my mom, my sweet mother, sneaked some spotty bananas into our house under my radar. So we had a plethora of bananas at our house this week. They looked a little like this:


Not quite so browned, but still, riper than your average plantain. If you happen to find these babies in your pantry, they are not rotten! You know what they're perfect for? Banana bread! Or muffins. So, after I finished my Brookies, my next baking adventure was this one!


Now, if you decide that you would rather make muffins than bread, the baking times vary significantly. But I'll get to that soon!

Banana Bread

1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/3 cup margarine or butter, softened
1 teaspoon salt
4 very ripe bananas
1 1/2 cup sifted flour
2 eggs
raisins, nuts, chocolate chips, etc (optional)


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan or muffin tin.

Sift together the baking soda, salt and flour. Set them aside.

Cream together the sugar and margarine.



Add the eggs, one at a time, and blend between each addition. Add the dry ingredients.

Peel the bananas and add them to the batter. The mushier they are, the more perfect they are for the batter!

Add any extra ingredients that flit your fancy. For me, personally, I love the way melted chocolate just goes with banana bread, so that's usually what I add. If my husband didn't have a vendetta against raisins, I'd probably toss some in, but alas, he would probably never eat my baked goods ever again if I did.


Now, pour the batter into the loaf pan or muffin tins. Here's where your choice matters most.


 For muffins, bake them for 20 minutes, then insert a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, they're done! For bread, however, it needs to stay in significantly longer. That puppy needs to bake for 55 to 60 minutes. Then, insert the toothpick to check for done-ness.




Since I had 8 very ripe bananas, I decided to make both bread AND muffins. Those muffins sure are perfect  with a little slab of butter early in the morning.



Photo of Overly Ripe Bananas From This Website:

No comments:

Post a Comment