Thursday, February 16, 2012

Au Revoir, Waistline!

I was going to post something for Valentines' Day, but then I realized I had spent so much time working on my hubby's present that I forgot to bake. I know, me, forgetting to bake?? It's like Judgement Day, Zombie Apocalypse, and December 21, 2012 all wrapped up into one! Zoinks! So I decided the situation needed remedying. Where did I turn, you ask? Well, let me tell you.

I noticed, as I was wasting away an hour on Pinterest, that there has been a recipe circling many of my friends' pinboards. I was intrigued partially by the Oreos tucked snugly in the center of this decadent treat, but mostly the name: Slutty Brownies. Supposedly because these girls are waaay too easy, and they're more than a little filthy. You can see the Slutty Brownies recipe I used here, or just follow along with me as I recreate this horrible influence on my diet. With the wonderful help of my darling friend, Amy Joy.



Slutty Brownies

1 package chocolate chip cookie mix
1 package brownie mix
2 Eggs (or 3, depending on the brownie mix)
1 Package of Oreos (Double Stuf is the best, but I guess you can settle for plain oreos...)
A smidgen (technical term) of oil


The Londoner said in her ingredients list that you needed two, count 'em, two packs of Oreos. I think I might have had a mini heart attack reading that. 80 Oreos??? Goodness. I realized not much later that she lives in Europe, which might explain the difference of packaging.

First off, you want to prepare your cookie dough according to the package directions. Or you can prepare them from scratch if you're feeling up to it.


My recipe called for 1 egg and 1/2 cup butter, since I wanted them NOW and was not feeling very homemaker-y today.

Now, since you'll be baking the cookie dough significantly longer than it is supposed to be in the oven, you'll want to add a teaspoon or so of both water and oil, making the dough slightly gooey.

Press the dough into a well-greased 9 x 13 pan.


You have to kind of plop it, first. It's quite goopey.


You can see AJ's hand as she holds the pan steady for me to press the dough in. It kept sliding around, due to the well-greased greasing we gave that pan.

NOW! Layer #2: milk's favorite cookie! Layer them atop the glorious cookie dough. Do not, I repeat, do not use broken cookies. These brownies deserve only the best! A suggestion from The Londoner that I wholly agree with!




AJ and I really tried to make the most of the oreo layer, so we kinda forced in a few more. Fact: there is no such thing as "too many Oreos."

Now it's brownie batter time! We picked out the richest, most artery-clogging box we could find: dark chocolate fudge. Aw, yeah! Prepare according to the directions on the box. Ours needed 2 eggs, plus 1/3 cup oil and 2/3 cup water.



The lovely Amy Joy is modeling her impeccable whisking skillz. Brava, Amy!

Next, you'll pour the brownie batter over the oreos.


You'll want to use a rubber spatula to spread the batter evenly across the cookies.


Finally, this baby is ready for the oven! 



I love how you can see the layering here...

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. I didn't know until after I had baked for about 20 minutes extra that it's actually okay if the brownie part is gooey. In fact, The Londoner said she preferred them that way. Oh well. They were still good, albeit cakey.


So there you have it, a new comfort food to make it impossible to keep your New Year's resolution! You're welcome. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go reacquaint myself with the treadmill...


No comments:

Post a Comment