Monday, February 6, 2012

Back to Basics

I am not feeling very adventurous today. It might have something to do with the weather. It's gloomy outside, and a little cold. Now, I'm all about gloomy days when you can smell the rain in the air. However, no moisture in sight and no sunshine does not a happy Ariel make. So I decided to do an oldie but goodie to lighten my spirits. I first thought of peanut butter cookies, but since I just made something peanut buttery, I decided to pass. That's when I stumbled upon this little number:


This is not my handwriting. I think someone gave it to my mom a long time ago. Look how well loved it is! And a recipe claiming to be the BEST chocolate chip cookie EVER has to be worth testing out, right? Right. I'm omitting the "Best Ever" from my title, since I can't vouch for them just yet. We'll see how this goes.


Chocolate Chip Cookies

1 cup sugar
5 cups flour
2 cups brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups shortening (butter flavored)
2 teaspoons salt
4 eggs
3 to 4 teaspoons vanilla
12 ounces chocolate chips (of course!)


I'm finally finishing off the 72 ounce bag of chocolate chips my hubby bought for me like 2 months ago! And see that unmarked bottle next to the salt? That's homemade vanilla, from one of the sweet girls in the Sunday School class I teach. :)

So the directions are really simple. According to the recipe, you just mix everything together all at once and then pop them in the oven. As you've probably already guessed, I am kinda OCD about how my ingredients get mixed together. So I started with my dry stuff.


If only all the beaches in the world were made of brown sugar. I would have been queen of the sand castles as a kid!


Mix all of that together thoroughly. You might need to use your hands or the back of a spoon to break up any clumps of brown sugar.


Now add in the eggs, vanilla, and shortening. I didn't have butter flavored shortening, so we'll just have to see how they turn out. I tried to crack my eggs so they would look pretty, but that didn't happen the way I wanted it to.


Now for the hard part. I had to use some elbow grease to get the dough mixed. I ended up just tossing the dough in the mixer, but there were some dry spots the mixer missed. So I still had to use some muscle.

Fold in the chocolate chips. I'm pretty sure that I used more than 12 ounces, but hey. A liberal amount of chocolate makes everything better.


Now, roll the dough into balls, about 1 inch in diameter. Place them on a cookie sheet. The recipe didn't specify whether or not the cookie sheets had to be greased or not, so Sam greased them to be safe.


I wasn't sure how much the cookies were going to spread, so I only did 10 per sheet to start, staggering them. That was Sam's idea. I just hate it when he's right... -.-


Now bake for 10 minutes. Let them cool on the sheet or on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes or so, and then they'll be ready to parcel up and give away! Or to eat yourself. Whichever works best for you!!


When they first came out of the oven, they were puffed up and looked like they needed a little bit more time in the oven, but I had faith in them. And they settled down, perfect and deserving of the title "Best Chocolate Chip Cookies Ever".

You need to see them up close to really appreciate them.


Yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment