Friday, February 24, 2012

Flour Substitution

Gluten-free is the newest craze sweeping the nation! Opting out of gluten-rich foods has been shown to be beneficial to many people, such as people with ADHD or auto-immune disorders. It's also contributed to many weight-loss success stories. Gluten can be found in wheat, barley, and rye. Also, it's used as a thickening agent and flavoring in many other foods. So many surprising everyday consumables have some form of gluten in it, so it can be tough to avoid. I'm not sure how well I would do without my all-purpose flour or my chapstick! For those of you wanting to branch out and try your hand at some gluten-free cooking, I have a flour-substituting, black bean-toting brownie recipe that's (surprisingly) amazing, and it's very simple, to boot!

Black Bean Brownies

1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
3 eggs
3 tablespoons oil
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup sugar
a pinch of salt



Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8 by 8 pan.

Mix all the ingredients together in a blender or food processor until it's puréed and frothy. 



The mixture will be quite thin.


Stir in some chocolate chips or nuts or whatever flits your fancy. Go crazy! I mean, come on, gluten-free doesn't mean you have to scrimp on taste!


Now pour it into your pan. There's not too much batter, so an 8 by 8 pan is the biggest you should try to use.



Bake for 30 minutes, then let the brownies cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then enjoy!



Nom nom nom!

My sister-in-law is gluten intolerant, so she uses lots of flour substitutes and wheat-free flours. For Sam's birthday, she helped me make cupcakes, and hers were made with butternut squash. Gluten-free food, in my past experiences, tends to be more moist than most. So bake away, and let me know how your experience was!

No comments:

Post a Comment