Monday, February 27, 2012

Lemon Tea Cookies

Who has the best in-laws in the world? Meeeee! Want to know why? Let me show you:


Oh yeah, that's a 5-gallon bucket of lemons. Score one for the baking addict! I've been scouring the internet for something to use these lemons for. And of course, I have Betty Crocker to fall back on with her many many lemony treats just waiting for me and my baking addiction. And I'm getting into the citrus spirit with some delicious Key Lime Pie Cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory.


Yummy!!

So anyways, back to my friend Betty. As I was searching for the perfect cookie/bar/pie recipe, I found the most appetizing little cookies ever. Lemon Tea Cookies, from Betty Crocker! Check out the recipe I'm using here, or follow along with me as I bake them right now!


Lemon Tea Cookies

Cookies
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour


Filling
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons grated lemon peel
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten


In a large bowl, beat together the butter, the powdered sugar, and the vanilla until they're well blended and smooth.




Stir in the flour until dough forms. You might need to use the back of a spoon to get everything mixed together perfectly. It's really crumbly and using a mixer might not work well enough. It didn't for me!



Cover the bowl and refrigerate for about 30 minutes. It'll make the dough easier to play with.

Now preheat the oven.

Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place them on ungreased cookie sheets about 2 inches apart.


Press your thumb into center of each ball to make indentation.


Bake them 8 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown. I stuck them in for 9 and they turned out pretty great! Nice and soft. :)

Combine all the filling ingredients in a saucepan.


Cook over low heat for 25 to 35 minutes, until the filling is thickened. Make sure you stir constantly!



You have to keep an eye on it when you first start out. I left my filling alone for like, 30 seconds, and suddenly, I had lemon-y scrambled egg in my saucepan. :( The second time around went much better, though! I watched it like a hawk!


I'm not sure if you can tell, but the mix started to turn a pale yellow. Judging by the thickening consistency of my filling, I think this is good.



This is what it looked like when I was ready to scoop it into the cookies.

Now, here comes the fun part. Use a rounded quarter teaspoon to scoop the filling into the cookies. Feel free to be generous with your filling!


Sprinkle the leftover powdered sugar over the top of these delicious little bite-sized treats.


It's pretty impossible to eat just one, so good luck!

It was another beautiful, wonderful rainy day today, a.k.a. perfect baking weather. What do you like to bake in stormy weather?

No comments:

Post a Comment