Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Peanut Butter Surprise

I've been in a bit of a baking funk this week. Partly I think it's due to this rotten cold I can't seem to shake fully, but also, I might have burnt myself out with the refreshments from two weeks ago. I won't admit this to my husband, but I MIGHT have slightly overextended myself with that task... So I'm slowly easing myself back into my groove. I searched my recipe books, googled images of yummy treats, and even thought of re-baking one of my former blog entries. However, I couldn't find a single recipe that made my tummy rumble... Until this one. It's got it all: chocolate, peanut butter, and a little bit of intrigue. Hey, they're called "surprises" for a reason!!


Peanut Butter Surprises

For the Cookie Dough:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (unsweetened) cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon salt*
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter*
1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg



For the Surprise Center:
3/4 cup peanut butter, creamy
3/4 cup sugar


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Then grease two cookie sheets.

 In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt*.



Isn't that the cutest whisk ever?? Someone gave it to me for my bridal shower, along with a whole bunch of other cute mini kitchen items. Like I said before, everything is better in smaller packages!

In another bowl, beat together both sugars, the (softened, of course!) butter, and peanut butter until light and fluffy.


My butter softening ended up semi-melted, which might have contributed to problems I'll explain later.


Add the vanilla and egg and mix until it's well combined.

Now, stir in the dry mixture, and make sure you blend it really well.


 My mix ended up kinda dry and clumpy, so I tossed in about two teaspoons of water.


It's time for the creamy center! Mix the peanut butter and the sugar in a small bowl until there's no leftover sugar in your bowl.



Form about 30 little peanut butter balls, 1 inch or so in diameter.


This is the fun part: roll a ball of chocolate dough about twice the size of the peanut butter balls. Now flatten it.



Place a peanut butter ball in the center of the circle, then bring the sides of the dough up over the filling.



Roll the (mostly) finished product in granulated sugar.


Now, place them on the baking sheet. Use the bottom of a wide cup to press the cookie down.



Bake for 7 to 8 minutes. Let it cool on a wire rack or on the cookie sheet before you try to take a bite. Then enjoy!!


This recipe makes about 30 yummy cookies.

*If your butter is not unsalted, you can omit the addition of salt to the recipe.

And that's the story of how Ariel got her groove back! And gained 5 pounds.

Do you have a fun recipe with a hidden surprise in the center? Post a comment below!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ariel! Thank you so much for stoping by my blog and for the sweet comment! I'm so happy you did as this recipe is my hubbys favorite! I'll have to make for him now :). Awesome blog!
    Karina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband drank a whole gallon of milk in two days trying to gobble down all these cookies! :D I'm so glad you like my blog! I love yours too!

      Delete