Monday, March 5, 2012

A Cherry Cordial Cookie

I've been neglecting some of my cookbooks. I received about a dozen (no joke.) cookbooks at my bridal shower, and only a couple of them have been truly inspiring to me. But if you get a 656 page cookbook, it's a little intimidating to work with. So I cracked out my Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook today. I was looking for something new. I need to reign in the peanut butter. Seriously. And I stumbled upon a little gem. They're called Buried Cherry Cookies, but they sound like cherry cordial cakesters (not unlike Oreo Cakesters, which I might just sell my soul for...) to me. I'm sort of adventurous in the kitchen, and I'll try anything once. So brace yourself for some cherry cordial cakesters!


Buried Cherry Cookies

For the Cookies:
1 10-ounce jar of marischino cherries
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

For the Icing:
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk


Preheat the oven to 350.

Drain the cherries into a bowl. You'll be using the juice later. If you have any really large cherries, cut them in half.


In a medium-sized bowl, beat the butter until creamy for about 30 seconds. Using a mixer, you'll set it on medium or high for those 30 seconds.


Add the sugar, powder, soda, and salt. Beat all the ingredients until well combined.


Now add the egg and vanilla.



Add the cocoa powder and flour a little at a time, mixing between additions. If you just add all of it at one time, like I did, you'll end up snorting cocoa powder, and it's actually quite painful...


  If you can't mix it all together with the mixer, use the back of a spoon.


 My dough was really dry, and some of the flour and cocoa wouldn't combine at all, so I added a teaspoon of water. Maybe a teensy bit more.



This next part's pretty simple. Shape the dough into 1-inch balls, then place them on an ungreased cookie sheet. Press your thumb into the center.




Top it with a cherry.


Set the cookies aside. We're makin' frosting now! In a small saucepan, combine the chocolate and the condensed milk. I accidentally used a whole can of condensed milk, but I liked the added sweetness. :)


 Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the chocolate melts.



Once the chocolate is melted, you can add 4 teaspoons of the cherry juice. If you want your icing thinner, you can add more. Personally, I thought it was a little thin already, but that's because I goofed on my measurements. :P


Spoon about a teaspoon of icing on top of the cherry on top. Like so:


Bake for 10 minutes. Don't underbake!! No, seriously. I did, just to see what would happen, and the cookies came out rather bitter. The only reason I can think of for why this might have happened is that the frosting sets into the cookie and makes it sweeter.


They weren't as pretty as I would have liked, but they were a'ight. If you make them and get them to look prettier, tell me your secret!

Enjoy! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment