Saturday, March 31, 2012

Doughnuts Disguised as Muffins

When I was 16, I spent the longest summer of my life working at a doughnut shop. I clocked in at 4 am, glazed and sprinkled doughnuts, folded breakfast burritos, and politely tried to explain to irate customers at 5:15 that yes, Boston creme and Bavarian creme were the same thing (It's vanilla pudding. Seriously.), even though I had given them the latter when they specifically asked for the former. The smell of ham and green chile burritos taunted me each morning. I got to know this rather creepy guy with the weirdest ankle bracelet that I'm not unconvinced wasn't a sex offender, which would explain why his work day started at 10 pm and ended at 5:30 am, when we opened for business. I learned exactly how one is supposed to wash dishes in a restaurant, since sometimes, when I got lazy (or tired), I would inevitably miss a spot and have to wash them twice more. I had a "star-crossed lovers" thing going (in my head) with my boss's son, who was starting his first year at our rival high school. Hey, when you don't have much of a social life, you make do with what you've got, okay?? My day didn't end until 6 pm, every day except Sunday. Our house was laden with so many day-old doughnuts and breakfast burritos that I stopped eating them for almost a year. I mopped more in that one summer than I ever have since, and by the end of the summer, I had earned, with my minimum wage, enough for 3 car payments, a new (and let me also add expensive) part for my already struggling truck (that somehow still is running), and some money to put into savings. I was so proud of what I had accomplished, even if it was grueling, long, and laborious. Mostly, though, I miss the smell of doughnuts. I like going into bakeries and just taking a deep breath. It takes me back to those long, crazy, bakery days.

Okay, now that I'm done reminiscing, let me tell you why. I found this amazing-sounding recipe that camouflages doughnuts into muffins, making you think you're eating much healthier than you really are. Sneaky sneaky!! And since I've been feeling nostalgic, I thought, hey, I can totally make this! So, here we go, ladies and gents!


Glazed Doughnut Muffins


For the Muffins:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup golden brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup milk


For the Glaze:
3 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup powdered sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons hot water

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

Line a muffin tin with cute, springtime-y cupcake liners, or just spray the pan with cooking spray. I was kinda feeling lazy, so I went with the second option.


See? Totally lazy. Also, I don't have any Easter-themed cupcake liners. I'd be all over that if I did!

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the butter, vegetable oil and both sugars until smooth, so about 2 minutes (with a mixer).



 Add the eggs, one at a time.


One, aaannd..

Two!

One of my girlfriends, Morgan, came over to help me bake some dark chocolate chip cookies, and she told me she is absolutely crazy about "wet dough", which is basically cookie dough (or any, really) without the flour. I tried it. It's not bad.


With the mixer on low speed, add baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt and vanilla until just combined.  I added them one at a time. Don't ask me why. I don't even know.


Baking soda and powder...


Nutmeg. My favorite spice ever!


Cinnamon.


And lastly, vanilla!

Mix in the flour alternately with milk until combined. A little bit of this, a little bit of that.


Spoon the batter into cups, filling them to the top.



Bake until muffin tops are a pale golden brown and spring back to the touch., about 15 to 17 minutes.


Cool muffins in the tin for 5 minutes before removing, then cool 10 more minutes before glazing.

To make the glaze, in a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix with a fork until smooth.



When the muffins have cooled slightly, dip each muffin top into the glaze and allow the glaze to harden (about 2 minutes).



Dip a second time and allow to harden again. I feel like the glaze was too liquid-y. Maybe next time I'll use more sugar, less butter.


They taste so much like a cake doughnut, it's uncanny! And quite delicious! Almost makes me want to go back to work! Try it out and see for yourself!

1 comment:

  1. Bonjour,je viens de parcourir votre blog,j'ai beaucoup aimé....Je suis tombée sur votre blog il y a quelques mois (en cherchant, justement, la "vraie" recette Et tous ces plats ,vous en avez des recettes !!!!!!! bonne journée la recette que j'ai ne me satisfait pas ,je suis très preneuse !! merci par avance
    j'ais déjà traité un site comme ca
    recette creme anglaise
    recette patisserie
    recette quiche lorraine
    recette couscous
    Couscous recipe
    Recette Thermomix
    Recette cookies
    Recette crepe
    gateau au yaourt

    Recette moelleux au chocolat

    Dessert rapide

    Recette tiramisu
    Recette paella
    Recette punch
    Recette pancakes

    healthy dessert

    Recette crumble
    Je viens de tester ta recette, elle est parfaite. Je vais bientôt la publier sur mon blog !! :) Merci pour cette super recette.

    ReplyDelete