Saturday, March 24, 2012

Easy as Pie

Now that phrase can make sense! Finally, a pie that truly is, like the saying goes, easy as a pie should be! I wanted to make it for dessert last night because we had friends over, but I sort of overlooked the part that said "let it cool for 2 hours", which was a bummer. :( And you have to let it cool, too. It stayed hot for a long time. But I we still managed to enjoy Minion cupcakes (think Despicable Me) and deep-fried pickles, courtesy of our sweet friends. So we didn't sin and go without an after-dinner treat. I still don't know how I feel about deep-fried pickles, though. I'm quite a pickle-lover, much to Sam's dismay, but I like them cold and crisp, fresh out of the jar. Mmmm... my mouth is salivating at the thought of biting into a delicious, sour, bright green pickle.

Anyways, today's post has nothing to do whatsoever with pickles. It has to do with that cookbook I was talking about a while ago. The one with the Bisquick crust that bakes itself. It still blows my mind that you don't have to buy or bake a crust separately. I wanted to try another recipe that I was crossing my fingers wouldn't land on my hand again, and so today's culinary creation is Impossibly Easy Apricot Pie, from Betty Crocker and Bisquick!


Easy Apricot Pie

1/2 cup Bisquick mix
1 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs
1 (8 1/2 ounce) can apricot halves, drained and mashed up
1/4 cup apricot preserves


Preheat the oven to, that's right, you guessed it, 350 degrees.

Spray a pie plate with cooking spray.


This pie pan is pretty nifty because that strip of metal you see actually helps you get the most of your pie crust! You swivel it around and it separates the crust from the pan, leaving you stress free about your slice of  heaven.

Stir all the ingredients together, minus the preserves.


Dry stuff first, obviously... I can't help myself.


Cream them together in a bowl with a wire whisk until well blended. I finally busted out the whisk attachment for the mixer! I am so proud of myself.



Now pour it into the pie plate.

Bake it for about 35 to 40 minutes.


If you stick a toothpick inside, it should come out clean. Let it cool completely. Which I somehow didn't see when I started the whole pie project. I'm sure you could just refrigerate it for an hour and call it good, but I was a little on the sleepy side and didn't think about that idea until too late.


Now it's time for the preserves. Take a medium-sized saucepan and pour the preserves in it.


Simmer on low to medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, until the preserves are mostly melted, like this:


Now spread this on the top of the pie. I was dissatisfied with how little surface area the preservatives covered, so I used the rest of the jar. I was more content after that. Also, the pie separated from the pan, so I wanted to sort of hide that under the preservatives.


Again, you have to let it cool, since you just put melted stuff on top of your pie, which by my reckoning will still be hot. Then you can top it off with whipped cream and enjoy! Alas, I don't have any more after the fiasco with the pink lemonade bars, but it still tastes just fine!


No comments:

Post a Comment