Tuesday, March 13, 2012

It's Biscotti, Baby!

After only a few days, my hand is completely better! But in hindsight, I probably won't try to stuff a blazing hot cheesecake into an already full freezer again...

So I'm trying something new today. I've had biscotti before, but I always wondered what you do different for baking it. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's a twice-baked Italian cookie that goes really great with coffee or hot cocoa. I looked up a recipe because I was curious. And it seems so much easier than I thought it would be! I just had to test it out. I'm following the recipe from Kraft Foods. You can see it here, or follow along with me as I experiment with the recipe here! There are also tons of other biscotti recipes that I can't wait to try out!


Chocolate Almond Biscotti

1 1/2 package (12 squares) Semi-Sweet Chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup Slivered Almonds, toasted


Preheat the oven to 325°F.

Lightly grease and flour large baking sheet.

Set aside 1/2 cup of the chocolate.


 Microwave the remaining chocolate in small microwavable bowl on HIGH for 1 to 2  minutes at 30-second intervals. Stir until the chocolate is completely melted, then let it cool slightly.


Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; set it aside.


Beat the butter and both sugars in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until the batter is well blended.



Add the eggs, 1 at a time, mixing well after each egg.


Blend in melted chocolate and vanilla.



Gradually add the flour mixture, mixing well after each addition.


Stir in the almonds.



Divide the dough in half. On a floured surface, shape each piece of dough into a 10x2-inch log.


Place both logs 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.


Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.


Cool the logs on a baking sheet for 15 minutes.

Place the logs on cutting board. Diagonally cut each log into 18 slices using serrated knife.


Place the slices, cut sides down, on baking sheet.


Bake the biscotti for an additional 20 minutes, turning them over after 10 minutes.


Melt reserved chocolate as directed on package. Now drizzle it over the biscotti. Let it stand until the chocolate is firm.



Nom nom nom nom nom! Some of my biscotti cutting yielded petit biscotti, but I think they would look rather cute next to a small cup of espresso or a quaint spot of tea. ;) I rather enjoyed my first attempt at biscotti, and I think this will be one of the recipes I'll look forward to making again and adding my own personal flair.

Tell me, what's your favorite type of biscotti? Have you ever tried it? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment