Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Cinnamon Roll Cake, Oh My!


Sam said that I need to get out of my peanut butter rut. I don't want to, but I guess he's right. So now I'm on a cinnamon kick! And my favorite cinnamon treat is cinnamon rolls! Sadly, though, I have no yeast, which is really the only thing stopping me from baking and devouring an entire pan of them. I follow the blog of Chef in Training, who has a delicious solution to my problem! Cinnamon Roll... Cake. Oh, yes please!


Cinnamon Roll Cake
from Chef in Training

For the Cake:
3 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted


For the Topping:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon cinnamon


For the Glaze:
2 cups Powdered Sugar
5 Tablespoons Milk
1 teaspoon Vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray a 9×13 glass baking pan with cooking spray, and set it aside.

Using an electric or stand mixer, add together the flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, milk, eggs, and vanilla.


It feels weird to put everything together at once, but it worked out fine.


Once everything is well combined, slowly stir in the melted butter.



Pour into the prepared 9×13 baking pan.


Now it's topping time! In a large bowl mix the 2 sticks of butter, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon together.


You want it to be creamy, like this:


Drop the topping evenly over the batter by tablespoonfuls.


 Now use a knife to marble/swirl through the cake.


I think I might have swirled it a little too much. Hey, it still tasted a-MA-zing!


Now we bake at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes or when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out nearly clean. I had to keep it baking for quite a while after, since my cake was still goopy in the center.


And it's glaze time! In a medium bowl, mix the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla together with a whisk. Drizzle evenly over the warm cake. Serve warm or at room temperature.

This cake was divine! It's already mostly gone, too. I hope you love it as much as we have!

2 comments:

  1. When she says divine, it doesn't even BEGIN to describe!!! This cake is amazing... Let's be honest, anything Ariel makes is amazing;) thanks for sharing this incredible treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it, Kristin! Thanks for the compliment, too! I'll have to send more treats your way!

      Delete