Thursday, April 19, 2012

Gluten-Free and Peanut Butter, My Old Friend

I have no excuses for not baking this past week besides some minor stomach pain and some very cruel allergies. But I'm back, baby! I still haven't fully unpacked my suitcase. That always ends up happening to me. I would even go as far as to say that if you were to ask me in 3 more weeks, it would still be full. I guess I just didn't want to come home from vacation. What was your favorite vacation as a kid? Or an adult?

Anyways, I'm back on the peanut butter craze with more fervor than ever! My poor husband wanted to be a little bit healthier, so on our last Costco expedition, he sought out the organic peanut butter. And it wasn't everything he dreamed it would be. The consistency was very different, and he was turned off by it. So I'm resigning myself to using creamy instead of crunchy in my recipes, just to help him out. I'm a good wife. :P I felt I needed to step up my A-game, so I turned to one of my baking heroes. Martha. I found, as I was drooling over every picture and every recipe, a peanut butter cookie that seems so very easy! Also, it's flour-free, which I know will be a hit with my sister-in-law. So, from Martha Stewart, queen of all things homemaking, here is another awesome recipe!


Flourless Peanut-Chocolate Chip Cookies
by Martha Stewart


1 cup creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup roasted salted peanuts


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a small bowl, lightly beat the egg.


In a larger bowl, stir together the peanut butter, sugar, egg, baking soda, and salt until well mixed. I didn't have roasted peanuts on hand, so I substituted crunchy (yay, me!) for the creamy.


Stir in the chocolate chips and roasted salted peanuts. I thought 3/4 cup wasn't enough, so I tossed in a teensy bit more. You can NEVER have too much chocolate.


Om nom nom!

At Martha's suggestion, wet your hands. With your hands sufficiently moistened, roll the dough into balls, about the size of a very generous tablespoon. Place them about 2 inches apart on two baking sheets.


Bake the cookies until they are golden and puffed up to perfection, or about 12 to 14 minutes, rotating the sheets from top to bottom and front to back halfway through.


Let them cool for 5 minutes on sheets, then transfer the cookies cookies to cooling racks to cool completely.


Now pour yourself a tall glass of milk and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment