Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Melt-In-Your-Mouth Cookie Love? We'll See...

I realized today that I haven't posted about cookies lately. And I went on the prowl for a good recipe to test drive. I had so many options to choose from, it was overwhelming! PB & J cookies sounded like a good plan, and I do have some grape jelly that needs to get used up. Then there were chipotle chocolate spice cookies that sounded exotic and very intriguing. But then I came across a recipe bragging about melting in your mouth, and you know me. I had to put it to the test! And it's in almost a class all its own. Brown sugar cookies, baby! And we'll just see about this whole "heaven in every bite" claim.

Brown Sugar Cookies
from Gooseberry Patch

2/3 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

Blend together the butter and brown sugar in a separate bowl.


Add vanilla to the butter and sugar; mix well.


Next, add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well with each addition.



 Add the flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream. I found in my mixing adventure that this cookie dough is quite soft and doesn't even need a stand or hand mixer. You can use your muscles if you so dare! I didn't, just in case.



You can see just how creamy the cookie dough is in these pictures. And of course, you have to taste the dough for quality control! So yummy.


Drop the cookies by tablespoonfuls onto non-stick or lightly greased baking sheets. I usually use two spoons, one for scooping and one for pushing off the first spoon and onto the cookie sheet.


Bake these babies for 8 minutes, says the recipe. BUT! Upon tasting one, I believe this recipe is a C-H-E-A-T-E-R! Granted, it did melt in my mouth, but when the cookie's super floppy and feels severely under-baked, I don't think it counts. Also, if the cookie moves when you try to frost it, that doesn't seem right to me... See for yourself:


Remove to a wire rack; cool.


They don't even LOOK done. :(

Frost with Browned Butter Frosting, see below.

Browned Butter Frosting

1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat until it turns "golden". Not sure what golden means, so I just kept it on the heat for like 30 seconds after the stick had melted. Make sure you watch the butter like a hawk since this happens pretty fast.





Remove the butter from the heat.

Now, stir in powdered sugar and enough milk to make a spreading consistency.


And now we frost!


I'm not sure if you could tell, but I had some beef with this recipe. When you cook them longer, they turn into a blob of something gross-looking. A cookie shouldn't be advertised as melting in one's mouth if it hardly resembles a cookie to begin with. The only thing I wasn't disappointed with was the frosting. It was just what a frosting should be. The cookies, not so much. So if there's some secret to this that I'm overlooking, let me know! I would love to make this recipe work somehow!

1 comment:

  1. These sound so delicious. Thanks for linking up with Strut Your Stuff Saturday. We're hoping you will join us again next week with more great ideas! - The Sisters

    ReplyDelete