Friday, April 6, 2012

Peanut Butter Jelly (Cookie) Time!


I figured that since my last cookie attempt flopped (literally), I needed to bake more. I mean, what's better for sating your hunger when you've checked the fridge 3 times and still haven't found something good to eat? And since my hubby is ALL about the peanut butter, I wanted to revisit and remodel the recipe. So I hope you're ready for another baking adventure!


PB & J Cookies

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter-flavored shortening
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg



Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

In a medium bowl, combine all the dry stuff. You know the drill: flour, baking soda and salt. Set it aside.


In a large bowl, mix together the sugars, shortening, peanut butter, milk, and vanilla.


Already looks yummy! :D

Now, the recipe says to use a hand mixer, but I decided good old fashioned elbow grease wouldn't hurt. So beat the mixture on medium speed (or if you're awesome, with your hand) until just combined.


Now crack open that egg and toss it in.


Gradually add the flour mixture and mix until combined. I had to knead the dough with my hands after a while. It gets pretty crumbly, so take care to really get everything moistened!


Roll the dough into large-ish balls. Seriously, don't be afraid to make them on the larger side! These cookies don't really spread much, so you don't have to worry about them attacking your other cookies on the sheet. Plus, the bigger the cookie, the more filling you can add! Now, place them onto un-greased baking sheets (they don't need greasing because of the shortening) and press into the center of each cookie with your thumb.


I decided, because I freaking love PB & J, that I would make two thumbprints in the shape of a heart. Yeah, my cookies are pretty stinkin' cute.


In each thumbprint, place 1/2 teaspoon of jelly and 1/2 teaspoon of creamy peanut butter. I did jelly first.


Now peanut butter:


Bake them for 10 to 12 minutes. Let them cool, then you can enjoy them!

You should probably have these cookies with a tall, cool glass of milk. They will seriously rock your socks off! Maybe next time, I'll try with Nutella. Oops, just drooled on my laptop a little. :P Happy baking!

Just in case you'll miss me, I'm going on vacation with my hubby this upcoming week. We're celebrating our anniversary in San Francisco and I won't be near a stove to cook anything (a minor inconvenience, but one I will just have to live with). I'll post some pictures when I get back though, I promise!

4 comments:

  1. PB&J is my favorite thing ever! thanks for sharing :)

    jackie
    http://jaclyndesigns.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting! I'm glad you liked them. My husband couldn't get enough of them!

      Delete
  2. Talking of peanut butter jelly, you might like this quote. Janet Evanovich Quote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a fantastic quote! Thanks for sharing! :D

      Delete