Friday, May 11, 2012

Caving For Homemade Reese's

I cracked. I know, I know! Before you shake your head at your computer screen, read on. I wasn't gonna make anything with peanut butter, but I was DYING! Well, okay, not literally, but you know what I mean. I pinky promise to hop right back on the cinnamon wagon after this one! I needed my fix. And what better way to satisfy my peanut butter craving than with Reese's? I couldn't think of anything else I'd rather devour than a creamy delicious peanut butter cup, but it never seems satisfying enough. I just can't justify spending a whole dollar on two little bitty candy cups. Or walking all the way to the store on the corner. I'm just so lazy! So I hit the books (and the internet) to find a way to satisfy my need for PB. I think this will even make a perfect Mothers' Day present for my mom.


Homemade Peanut Butter Cups

For the Chocolate:
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate, chopped or in chip form
2 tablespoons peanut butter
A pinch of salt

For the Filling:
3/4 cup peanut butter
1/3 cup light brown sugar or powdered sugar
2 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs, optional
A pinch of salt


Prepare a muffin tin with 12 paper liners. It's too bad that I didn't have any super cute liners. I guess plain ol' white will just have to do.


Combine the chocolate, peanut butter, and salt in either a microwave-safe bowl or the top portion of a double broiler. Stir often to really mix everything together.


Now, place 2 teaspoons of melted chocolate in each cupcake liner. Carefully spread it with the back of a spoon at the bottom and only up to 1/4 of the way up the liner. Repeat with the other 11.


Place these chocolate-filled liners onto a plate in the fridge to harden, which is about 20 minutes.

While the bottoms are firming up, prepare the filling. You want to stir together the peanut butter, sugar, optional crumbs, and salt.


Now, in my ingredients picture, you could see brown sugar, but I decided to switch to powdered. The peanut butter I used has a very odd consistency, very liquidy, so I wanted the thickening power of the powdered sugar. I bet they'd be fantastic with brown sugar, though!


Mmm... peanut butter paste...

The bottoms should be nice and hard now. Roll the peanut butter filling into balls, about a heaping tablespoon worth. Press each ball into the liners, like so:



I put these babies back into the fridge for another 20 minutes, just in case the peanut butter had melted the bottoms even a little bit.

Finally, top the peanut butter with 2 more teaspoons of melted chocolate, spreading carefully so that none of the peanut butter can be seen.


The choco-holic in me said, "Hold up, that's not nearly enough chocolate." I had a flashback to our San Fran trip and the cupcake-sized peanut butter cups I coveted so dearly, and I decided that I agreed with my inner choco-holic. So I mixed up a half-batch of the chocolate and continued on my merry way.


Let the cups firm up in fridge for at least one hour (which is really hard) before enjoying. 


Store in the fridge or freezer, if you still have any left. (HA!)


On another note, did any of you catch the Super-moon last week??


We have a beach that looks out to the east, since we're in a harbor, so it was the perfect moon-watching scene! And we were lucky enough to spot some floating lanterns in honor of Cinco de Mayo. I swear it looked just like Tangled. :)

6 comments:

  1. Just say Reeses and we're in!! :) This looks delicious! We are so happy that you linked up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday" and we hope you see you back next week!! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I will definitely be back with more!

      Delete
  2. These look divine! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked them! Thanks for hosting your linky party!

      Delete
  3. Made this tonight! Trying to be patient...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to wait! Good luck! I hope they're amazing!

      Delete