Friday, May 25, 2012

My Mother's Zucchini. And Her Bread!

Growing up, it was just my mom and me. And we moved around a lot. She wasn't in the military, by any means. Her wanderlust was un-quenched. Life was constantly changing for us, but I remember one thing that stayed the same. My mother has a fantastic green thumb. I used to secretly imagine she was a "plant whisperer" or something just as silly. Everywhere we lived, we made sure to have a garden. I think my favorite was when we lived in Colorado, and happened upon a raspberry bush right in our backyard. If there's one thing my mom is terrific at, (and let's face it, there's not much my mom CAN'T do) it's making homemade jam. Our church's parking lot had almost an orchard full of plums, and she had even gotten permission to pick and jam all the plums there as well. Getting off the school bus and walking the secret path to my backyard always brought on a new debate for my after-school snack: Nutella or jam on bread? I'm not exaggerating. It's as high on my yum list as hazelnut and chocolate. But back to the subject of gardens. A constant friend to our gardens was always zucchini. I never wanted to pick them, just to see how big they could get. Mostly they'd be about the size of my forearm now. And my mother could turn those babies into bread that was absolutely heavenly. I just loved the stuff! And so I'm attempting to re-create this wonderful blast from my past!


Zucchini Bread
my mother's recipe

3 eggs, slightly beaten
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil (any kind will do)
2 cups grated zucchini
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups flour, sifted
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking powder


I just want to take the time to point out the size of that zucchini. If you notice, it's about three times as big as the other squash. Here's a close-up:


My mom and her green thumb. :)

First, preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Grease a loaf pan well. I'm not sure the exact dimensions, but I believe it's a standard loaf.

Sift the flour, salt, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking powder in a medium-sized bowl. 


Set it aside. If you're anything like me, this probably happened to you...


I call it the flour phenomenon. Happens to me every stinkin' time! My apron, too, as you can see, is always a mess, too.

Grate your zucchini, if you haven't already done so.


Now, combine the eggs, sugar, oil, zucchini, and vanilla in a large bowl. 


Mmm... zucchini mush...


Slowly add in the dry ingredients, just a little at a time, until it's all incorporated.




You can leave it plain, or jazz it up with some walnuts, white chocolate chips, or even some cranberries! Like this batch of muffins:


Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. You could probably split it into two pans, or even make muffins out of them, but I'm sticking with my one. I'm sure my sweet mom will come by with more fruits of her labors, so I can try them as muffins too! I'm already excited. :D


Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted towards the middle of the bread comes out clean. If you decide to do muffins instead, bake them for 20 to 22 minutes, then check them with a toothpick.


Now it's time to enjoy! Pour yourself a tall glass of milk and slop some butter on a slice (or two) of fresh-baked zucchini bread. Who needs a time machine when you've got zucchini bread to take you down memory lane?


5 comments:

  1. Wow that is a really big zucchini! This sounds so good. I am adding it to my "recipes to make" list. Thank you for sharing.

    (new follower from Six Sisters' Stuff link party)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting! I hope your zucchini bread turns out amazing! :) Come back often!

      Delete
  2. Never knew what to make of a zucchini, but this sounds really delicious! I'm gonna try this recipe! Thanks for sharing! Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my favorite way to eat them. :) I hope it'll be yours too! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. This zucchini bread looks so moist and yummy! We appreciate you linking up with us!! It's so fun to see all of the great ideas and recipes! We hope to see you back again soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete