Monday, June 18, 2012

Cookie Dough Madness

My first day off in a week! I seriously didn't know what I should be doing with myself, not having to work, so I did almost nada. Except waste time on Pinterest. And eat a freaking huge burger at Islands with the hubby. And, of course, check up on Bakerella's blog! Boy, am I glad I did! 3 words: Cookie. Dough. Truffles. Yes, please! Stumbling upon this fantastically easy treat was very fortuitous, since we just got new neighbors next door (who seem awesome!), and I wanted to make something for them to welcome them to our neighborhood. And these are egg-free, so there's no worry about E coli! Woot! Also, did you know there's a statistic that says 71% of all raw cookie dough consumers are women? Sounds about right to me! Anyways, let's get to not baking!


Cookie Dough Truffles
from Bakerella

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
chocolate candy coating (or chips)


In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until light and fluffy (for about 3 minutes).



Now, mix in the milk and vanilla.


Add the flour and salt and mix on low until combined.


My dough was still very dry, so I added about a teaspoon and a half more of milk. Worked like a dream.

Stir in the chocolate chips.


Just because you need to fully appreciate this fantastic mixture, here's a close up. Nom nom nom! At this point, I think two, maybe three truffles were lost. I have a bad habit of not letting my cookie dough touch the cookie sheet. Sam buys the Costco bucket of Nestle cookie dough for me from time to time, and we've made maybe one dozen cookies. I snack on the dough all the time. :) So the fact that this stuff is egg-less is awesome!


Chill the dough in refrigerator for about 30 minutes until it's firm enough to roll or scoop into 1-inch balls. I made them a little smaller, since I know I will not be able to exercise self-control and eat just one.


Place rolled balls on a wax paper lined baking sheet and place in the freezer for at least 15 minutes. Mine were in for longer because dinner prep had to start, and I can't procrastinate forever. :(

Melt the chocolate according to the directions on the package. I like the microwave, mostly because I've had bad luck with double broilers.



Remove a couple of balls from the freezer at a time and dip them in the chocolate. Make sure to let any extra chocolate fall off back into the bowl.




Decorate with more mini chips or however fancy you want, then place them on the wax paper to set. How do you like your truffles?


Fancy?


Just plain delicious?


Or even fancier?

Me, I just like them. Period. This recipe made about 30 little truffles, after I ate some of the dough. :)

So, since I used regular chocolate and not candy coating, my truffles took a little longer to set. I'm rather impatient, especially with sweets, so into the freezer they went! Ready to eat in 15 minutes or less.

Also, our neighbors really loved them. Awesome neighbor level: 99!

No comments:

Post a Comment