Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Beat The Heat With A Sorbet Treat!

I'm sure you were wondering what happened to the rest of those blackberries, since I most certainly did not use all of them. I have made cobblers and pies in the past, and I already made crumb bars, so Sambo suggested I venture outside of my comfort zone. I'm not too keen on that, since things tend to go badly (very badly) for me out of my box. But tentatively, I searched for something new to do. Then I stumbled upon a perfect summer recipe that I wasn't too terrified to try, and I think you'll enjoy it too! Especially if your summers get toasty!


Blackberry Sorbet
adapted from Joy of Baking

1 cup water
1 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 pound frozen (or unfrozen and fresh!) blackberries
2 tablespoons lime juice




First off, we need to make simple syrup. Before you get worried, it's a fairly simple process. In a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Once that happens, remove it from the heat. You just want it to be hot enough to dissolve the sugar quickly.


Now, add the sugar. Stir until it is completely dissolved.




Transfer the syrup to a heat-proof container, then place it in the refrigerator for about an hour, or the freezer for 15 minutes. You know me, though. Impatient as ever. So I put it into the freezer. You want the syrup to be completely cooled when it hits the blackberries.


If you're using frozen blackberries, make sure they're thawed out before using. If you're using fresh ones, you can skip that part of the step. Now, pop those babies into the blender, add the syrup, and purée!





Next up, we've got to get rid of those pesky seeds. Using a strainer, separate the seeds from the rest of the purée. My strainer happened to be minuscule, so this process took a very, very, very long time.


Try to push as much juice out as you can. Then add the lime juice.


Now, if you have an ice cream maker, this is where the fun starts. If not, it's still pretty fun, just more time-consuming. Place this yummy concoction in your ice cream machine and process it according to the manufacturer's instructions. Once it's finished, transfer it to the freezer to store it. If it becomes solid, move it to the fridge for about 20 minutes so it's soft enough to serve.

If you do not have an ice cream maker, like me, there's still hope! Keep on reading.

Pour the mixture into an 8 inch stainless steel pan (I read that sorbets freeze better with stainless steel...), cover the whole thing with plastic wrap, and store it in the freezer. After about 1 to 2 hours, check on the sorbet.

When the mix has frozen to the point that a firm ring of ice has formed around the sides, and a soft slush is in the middle, remove it from the freezer.

Pour your partially frozen sorbet to a food processor or blender and grate until the mixture looks like a slurpee. This will break up the large ice chunks that have formed on the sorbet. (This is also what gives the sorbet its fluffy texture.)

Place the sorbet back into the pan, back into the freezer, and repeat the process at least two more times at intervals of 1 to 2 hours. After the third processing return the sorbet to the freezer for about an hour before serving so the sorbet can be firm enough to serve. It won't be quite as fluffy as if you were to put it into an ice cream maker, but it does the trick and hits the spot when you're roasting!

Now it's time to enjoy the heck out of your fancy homemade sorbet! Do you feel fancy? I know I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment