Thursday, July 26, 2012

Chubby Hubby, The Remake

Do you like ice cream? At my house, it's a big part of our balanced diet. ;) I love me some mint chocolate chip or peanut butter goodness (duh.). However, my hubby is a big fan of Chubby Hubby ice cream.


And let's face it: my other two favorite men in the world make some pretty amazing stuff. Oh, Ben and Jerry. How often I turned to them in times of heartbreak, stress, and wedding planning! The photo is from here, with a recipe for Chubby Hubby cookies that alas, I must save for another day. It did get me thinking of what else you could do with a pretzel, peanut butter, and chocolate combo! And that's when I stumbled upon a recipe for something Sam almost begged me to try. Here's a sneak peak:


Mmmm... Truffles! They're quite amazing, if I do say so myself! Let's get cracking!

Chubby Hubby Truffles
from BrownEyedBaker

1 1/2 cups pretzels (whatever shape, I just like snacking on the sticks best)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1 tablespoon butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons light brown sugar

A pinch of salt
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (I suppose you could use milk chocolate, but I'm not a big fan...)
1 tablespoon vegetable shortening (Decidedly not! Not after that last almost catastrophe. I used more peanut butter.)


Put the pretzels into a resealable plastic bag and crush them into very small pieces.



Now set that aside for a sec.

In a small-ish bowl, combine the peanut butter, butter, brown sugar and salt. You want to make sure all the ingredients are completely smooth when you add the pretzels.


Pour in the pretzels and mix well.



Add the powdered sugar and mix until completely combined.



Here comes the fun part! Line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Shape 2 tablespoons into a peanut buttery ball. I made mine on the smaller side to placate my future sense of guilt when I inevitably ate 3. Or 4. Now do that with the rest of the mix. Set them up on your cookie sheet, then put them in the fridge to chill for like 15 minutes.



When it's time to chocolate-cover the truffles, microwave the chocolate chips and peanut butter together in a small bowl at 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval. Make sure it's fairly liquidy.

Decidedly, you should do this one at a time. I know from experience. Dip each truffle into the chocolate. Make sure it's completely coated with chocolate.


Return the truffles to the baking sheet, and retire them to the refrigerator once more for about 30 minutes.

This part is optional, but for me, it's mandatory! Melt up some peanut butter and drizzle it all up on them truffles! And then some more chocolate! Oh, and then to make it even more awesome, why not sprinkle some pretzel crumbs on top of that deliciousness? Like this:




Om nom nom! Now eat up!

2 comments: