Saturday, September 1, 2012

Delicious Cake for Your Coffee

Well, it's official! I'm back in school! I'm really weird like that. Every time we go to Target in August, Sam has to pretty much drag me away from the school supply section. The week before school started, I think I went shopping for supplies like, 3 times. And then after my first day in English class, I went back again. I don't know what it is. Part of it is that I wasn't able to go to school for 3 years, so getting back in the saddle makes me feel accomplished, like I'm actually progressing with my life, not living in limbo. Another part is that, well, I'm just kind of a nerd. The whole glasses-wearing, high-tech calculator-toting, thinking pocket protectors are cool type of nerd. Yeah. That's me. Anyways, the point of my rambling is that I have been getting up at 5 every weekday morning for school, and I'm trying out new (and tried and true) recipes for my breakfast on the run. My mother gave me another huge zucchini. This one:


That is a 1-cup measurement next to it. Which means it's even bigger than the one she gave me before. Yeah, my mom rocks. :)

So anyways, I made some more zucchini bread, which lasted for a week. But my tastebuds longed for something new, something fresh! So my quest for a new breakfast treat began. And quickly ended, once I discovered this beauty!


Maple Glazed Coffee Cake
from CaffeIna


For the cake:
1/2  cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup sour cream

For the filling:
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon

For the glaze:
1/4 cup maple syrup
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar


Preheat the oven to 350ยบ.

Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with cooking spray.


In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, the baking powder, the baking soda, and the salt.



In a large bowl, beat together the softened butter and both sugars until the mix is nice and fluffy.


Add the egg and mix well.




Now add the vanilla and sour cream, stirring until it's just combined (not lumpy).



Add the dry stuff to the sugar mix a little at a time until it's creamy.



Whisk the brown sugar and cinnamon together in a small bowl, then set it aside.


This is my new favorite smell. I imagine heaven will smell just like brown sugar and cinnamon.


Spread only half of the batter into the loaf pan.


 Now coat it with a layer of cinnamon heaven.


Cover that with the remaining batter.


Bake for 35 - 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Mine ended up needing to bake for 45 minutes, so I put some aluminum foil over the pan to keep the coffee cake from browning too much.


Remove the cake from oven and cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack or a plate.

You can leave it whole and drizzle the glaze over the loaf, or you can slice it up and drizzle each slice individually. Plus, you get to see the yummy insides!


When the cake is cool, whisk the powdered sugar and maple sugar together.


If it's too thick, just pour on more maple syrup!




No comments:

Post a Comment